As one of the key ingredients in our pharmacist-developed detox formula, St. John’s Wort benefits users in several different ways. While most people who are aware of this popular herb know it for its ability to promote better mental health, it is actually a highly versatile substance that presents quite a few potential uses, despite the lack of rigorous clinical review for many of its attributed effects. While we’ve included a St. John’s Wort dosage in our kits to help you detox your body, it’s important to understand the other effects it may have, as well as the interaction it can have with other vitamins, herbs, and medications you may be taking.
What is St. John’s Wort?
St. John’s Wort is a flowering plant with small yellow blossoms and yellow-green leaves that have a perforated appearance thanks to small dots of glandular tissue that are visible when held up to a light. While long recognized as a medicinal plant, the benefits of St. John’s Wort are strongly debated, and the FDA has not approved any drugs based on their active ingredients for any purpose. That being said, it has been used in traditional folk medicine for hundreds of years for a variety of conditions.
Potential Benefits of St. John’s Wort
Here are several uses for St. John’s Wort that have been researched. While they have received considerable scrutiny, still, more investigation is needed into the potential benefits of St. John’s Wort.
- For Depression - Perhaps the best-known use for this herb is as a natural antidepressant. Users typically take a daily St. John’s Wort dosage to help improve their mental outlook and demeanor. This property is frequently sought out not just by those with clinical depression but by those with similar symptoms arising from other conditions, such as seasonal affective disorder and menopause. It has been referred to at times as an herbal SSRI, although evidence of this mechanism is insufficient.
- Wound Care - The red extract of the plant has been used to help bind and treat wounds. Reputed to promote healing, it’s thought to have antibiotic properties that help inhibit infections. Studies of the wound-healing benefits of St. John’s Wort’s active compounds show its immense potential.
- Liver Enzyme Inducer - The reason we chose St. John’s Wort for Green Gone is because studies show that it can induce an increase in the production of certain liver enzymes. This increase helps make some chemical compounds more water-soluble, so it’s easier for your body to filter them out when they reach your kidneys. These compounds, such as THC metabolites, are then excreted in your urine. In short, it boosts your body’s natural ability to metabolize and eliminate certain chemical compounds.
Potential Side Effects Of St. John’s Wort
While there are plenty of St. John's Wort benefits, it also has some key side effects you may possibly experience that you should be aware of while detoxing.
- May Reduce the Effectiveness of Some Medications - The same properties that make it the perfect choice for a detox mean that medications you take, such as maintenance medications or birth control, could also be metabolized and eliminated faster as well.
- May be Passed on to Child Through the Placenta or Breast Milk - Anytime you’re pregnant or nursing, you should always check with your physician before taking any herbal product, even one you have used before or that is proven to be safe.
- May Cause Complications with Some Existing Medical Conditions - If you’re being treated by a doctor for any existing condition, especially ones that have an effect on your mental health or cognitive ability, check with them before taking St. John’s Wort products.
Detoxing Your Body
The St. John’s Wort benefits are an important part of our detox kits’ mechanism to help you feel good and take control of your body. Each Green Gone kit contains the precise St. John’s Wort dosage needed to help induce an optimal liver enzyme balance to boost your body’s own natural processes. Order your all-natural 2-Day, 5-Day, or 10-Day detox from Green Gone Detox today.